Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tutorial--Five Fat Quarters Scarf--


With beautiful fabrics by Amy Butler, I designed this scarf. It is simple to make.

You will need:
Five different designs of fat quarters (different enough to make the scarf interesting and yet, be color coordinated.)

Thread that matches

Pom-Poms if you prefer

How to make:

1. Cut the fat quarters to 3 1/2" x 13 1/2" strips. You should be able to cut six strips from each fat quarter.



2. Sew the strips together; each row has five different strips. You should lay them out and see how you want them to look before you start sewing. I made the first row, then each row was laid out like the row before, but each strip was shifted one direction. Also, make sure that the same fabrics don't come next to each other.



3. Sew rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 in order.



4. With the right sides together, fold the fabric in half, length wise. (basically, between rows 3 and 4). Cut both ends at a 45° angle.



5. Open up the ends and lay the pom-poms in. Fold the fabric as before and use pins to secure the pom-poms in place.



6. Before you start sewing around the edge, change the pressure foot on your sewing machine to the zipper foot, so you can sew the area that has the pom-poms without struggling. Leaving a 5" opening in the middle of the scarf, sew around the edge. Flip the fabric inside out. Iron.



7. Stitch around the edge for a nice finish. (this also helps to secure the fabric and keep its shape for when you decided to wash it.



8. Enjoy!


I am so excited at how it turned out! Because of the color, I think it will go with my jean jacket too. I am sad to see the summer go, but this is a new reason to look forward to the coming season!

25 comments :

  1. Thankyou for that tutorial Me thinks I'll have a go at that.
    I'm so bad at flitting from one thing to another I have lots of half finished items it's because I see lovely things like this. I do like quick projects its so satisfying being able to produce something well done.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. Nice job. Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful scarf! I seriously need to learn to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. I'll add this to my collection of tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this is the perfect use for the large print Amy Butler fabrics! It showcases the prints wonderfully, and your tutorial is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! I want to try this one! Maybe I could do it!?!?!?! MAYBE...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is seriously cool, and so is the appliqued T-shirt and coordinated bows..I'm inspired by your drive to use all the fabric you have, and so craftily!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sachiko! I love this scarf and I'm making my own as I type! :)

    I was wondering if you finished the seams in any way. I'm afraid they might fray. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ana-

    Because there are other fabrics in the back, the pieced parts don't fray. So don't worry!

    Happy sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally finished mine! Thank you for the beautiful tutorial:)
    Rebecca
    http://coldoatmealandpurplecows.blogspot.com/2010/08/fat-quarter-scarf.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I love your blog. You have so many useful ideas hear. Greetings from Poland. Banty

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm featuring this today. Grab a button if you like:

    http://southernscraps.blogspot.com/2011/07/must-do-monday-scarves-7-diy-tutorials.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I love this sachiko!!! just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am going to make this RIGHT NOW! :) i even have black pompom trim. i am doing it in a black/white/red combo. if it goes well--i may make more for gifts! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the great tutorial! I just made one for my friend and now I want to make another. This is such a fun little project. Perfect for a rainy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial! I'm a brand new sewer and I just made this. I posted up what I made on my blog and included a link to your tutorial, you can check it out here if you want:
    http://randomwritings-2.blogspot.com/2012/06/sewi-have-new-hobby.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this. I can't wait to make one. I am a scarf hound....glad they are so fashionable right now. I love to wear them!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tute! Made one for my aunt - you can see it here (http://thehohnstreiterohana.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/a-diy-handmade-christmas-part-two/). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely idea and your skills! This looks great and I'm about to try it.
    I have Pinned you, hope that's OK

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can you please tell me how you finished the back of the scarf? I am new at this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you please tell me how you finished the back of the scarf? I am new at this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for posting this tutorial. I am putting this together today and am doing some machine embroidery on it before I fold it and stitch it together. It's so cool. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the project I'd saved and lost ! I'm so happy to have found it again. I'm making one tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love!!! I'm gonna add a zippered pocket to it and make this right now

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin