Friday, December 6, 2013

Package from Japan; What was inside?

It has been a pretty busy day for me today and when I came home after picking the kids up from school, I found a package on my front porch. Actually, my kids spotted it even before I did and they were so excited. It was a package from my mom and my sister for my birthday and Christmas.

They send me a package like this every year, but the excitement never seems to dull. The kids are always SO excited to see what's inside. I usually call my mom as we are opening the package, so even though she is not here, she can at least hear how excited her grand-kids are.

In the package, there was...

Cute goodies for bento making...

Small bottles covered with stitched beads that my sister made... (aren't they so pretty?)

Lots and lots of my favorite Japanese food. Believe it or not, some things are not in the picture... because kids already ate them before I was able to take picture!

and, there were lots of washi-tapes and one of my favorite magazines.

Ahhh... I can't wait to tuck the kids into bed, relax and enjoy the magazine page by page... (huge grin)

It is so funny how they know me so well. I moved to the United States 18 years ago, and I haven't been going back that often; I feel like they are very close to my heart. When I went back two summers ago it was the first time in 11 years; it felt so natural and we just picked up where we left off and enjoyed the time together. I guess that is family.

We are not a picture perfect family. We have our quirks and a skeleton or two in the closet. There were many times I couldn't wait to grow up and leave home. Though, now I live so far away I miss them very much. My sister and I always talked about how we wished there was a transporter somewhere in our homes, so we could see each other all the time.

If you live close to your family, don't take that for granted, go visit them often! What I miss the most are the small things in everyday life; cooking in the kitchen, telling funny stories and laughing together, watching TV and making small comments and such... treasure the moments everyone. I guess I am trying to do that with my family here. Some days are harder than others and it gets frustrating at times, but I know my kids will grow up and leave before I know it. I guess my big secret plan is that I create lots and lots of fun moments as a family, so they would miss us and would want to come back to see us, hehehehe...

In America, Thanksgiving and Christmas are the big holidays and it seems like we talk about family a lot around this time. For me, New Year is it. The celebration of New Year's is important in our culture and centers around the family. I miss my mother's traditional Japanese New Year's dishes and other traditions.

I found a picture of traditional Japanese New Year's dishes; I love how it looks so beautiful

I guess my family just didn't send food and some goodies, I found some sentiments in the box as well. I am almost ready to ship my Christmas package to them soon, I hope they will enjoy opening it.

10 comments :

  1. How thoughtful of them! It feels so good when somebody knows how to make you happy! The beaded bottles are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! I always enjoy reading your blog. I can imagine how much you miss your mum and your family especially on special occasions. My girl and her family live quite a distance away and I don't get to see my granddaughters very often and I miss them...especially so at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful gifts! Wish I was on their "gift list". So many fun things. Happy Holidays and enjoy your New Year Celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The items are beautiful and I wholeheartedly agree with you about cherishing our moments with our family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! My mom would always send me packages like this. I just lost my mom in Oct. so I just realized I won't be receiving boxes like this anymore. So glad you have your kids to enjoy all of the things too!! So special!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely package. I live in the same country as my parents, but far away, so I only see them once or twice a year. They're coming to visit this weekend for three weeks. I'm a little nervous because I haven't seen them in a long time, but I know it will be fine once they're here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are the seaweed rice mix-ins called? They are in the lower right corner of the food picture. Do they have a proper name?

    ReplyDelete
  8. have you ever thought of using Skype to keep in touch with your family? If they have a computer, it is easy to do and there is no fee. You can see each other whenever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in Europe, my family is in the US; I get back there about once every 5 years. I can totally relate to this post. There is something special beyond words about a care package from 'home'...or a love note from little nieces or nephews...and even skype chats. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I met in Yokosuka, Japan a longgg time ago... and although my family was in Oregon I didn't miss them quite as much as I did when I only lived as far away from them as Utah. We moved back to Oregon for a while... but since we live in Utah again and my parents are in Oregon... it seems soo far away. But, the nice thing is that we can communicate so much more quickly then we could the last time we lived in utah. There were not computers then, no email, or texting, no Skipeing etc... I suppose we need to count our blessings. I hope that you won't take your family for granted either.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin